Monday, July 16, 2007

When People Do Not Talk

My friend was having trouble the past few days. He works for a universal bank here in the Philippines. He had troubles adjusting to the system. A few days ago, he was asked to resign. The HR told him that he has 2 options, resign or wait until his 6th month and he will not be regularized.

I told him in order to save his 201, that he should resign now. This led to our numerous drinking sessions and long conversations.

I got a call from him a few minutes ago as he tendered his resignation. I was supposed to call him since one of our closest friends arrived from China and there is a small get together later tonight. Then, he told me that his superiors were shocked that he tendered his resignation. The high official told him that what he knew was he will give my friend a suspension and then later evaluate his performance.

There is a miscommunication within the middle managers and the HR. The company says there are problems with my friend's performance. This was true. Though there is inconsistency with their statements, it shows that there are bigger problems above him.

If I were him, if they tell him that he should stay and there was a mistake, I would still leave. I don't like to work in an organization where people do not talk and people do not listen.

No comments: